Running Containers on Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (Amazon EKS)
Amazon EKS makes it easy for you to run Kubernetes on AWS without needing to install, operate, and maintain your own Kubernetes control plane. In this three-day course, you’ll learn container management and orchestration for Kubernetes using Amazon EKS. You’ll build an Amazon EKS cluster, configure the environment, deploy the cluster, and add applications to your cluster. Also discover how to manage container images using Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR) and learn how to automate application deployment. In addition, you’ll deploy applications using CI/CD tools. You’ll review how to monitor and scale your environment by using metrics, logging, tracing, and horizontal/vertical scaling. Learn efficiency, cost, and resiliency by designing and managing a large container environment. Lastly, explore configuring AWS networking services to support the cluster and learn how to secure your Amazon EKS environment.
Duration: 3 days
Who is it for: This course is for anyone who will provide container orchestration management in the AWS Cloud, including DevOps engineers and systems administrators
Layout: This course includes instructor lecture, presentations, hands-on labs, demonstrations, and group
- Describe Kubernetes and Amazon EKS fundamentals and the impact of containers on workflows.
- Build an Amazon EKS cluster by selecting the correct compute resources to support worker nodes.
- Secure your environment with AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) authentication and Kubernetes Role Based Access Control (RBAC) authorization.
- Deploy an application on the cluster. Publish container images to Amazon ECR and secure access via IAM policy.
- Deploy applications using automated tools and pipelines. Create a GitOps pipeline using WeaveFlux.
- Collect monitoring data through metrics, logs, and tracing with AWS X-Ray and identify metrics for performance tuning. Review scenarios where bottlenecks require the best scaling approach using horizontal or vertical scaling.
- Assess the tradeoffs between efficiency, resiliency, and cost and the impact of tuning for one over the others. Describe and outline a holistic, iterative approach to optimizing your environment. Design for cost, efficiency, and resiliency.
- Configure AWS networking services to support the cluster. Describe how Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) supports Amazon EKS clusters and simplifies inter-node communications. Describe the function of the VPC Container Network Interface (CNI). Review the benefits of a service mesh.
- Upgrade your Kubernetes, Amazon EKS, and third party tools.
- Course preparation activities and agenda
- Container orchestration
- Kubernetes objects
- Kubernetes internals
Amazon EKS Fundamentals
- Introduction to Amazon EKS
- Amazon EKS control plane
- Amazon EKS data plane
- Fundamentals of Amazon EKS security
- Amazon EKS API
Building an Amazon EKS Cluster
- Configuring your environment
- Creating an Amazon EKS cluster
- Demo: Deploying a cluster
- Deploying worker nodes
- Demo: Completing a cluster configuration
- Preparing for Lab 1: Building an Amazon EKS Cluster
Deploying Applications to Your Amazon EKS Cluster
- Configuring Amazon Elastic Container Registry (Amazon ECR)
- Demo: Configuring Amazon ECR
- Deploying applications with Helm
- Demo: Deploying applications with Helm
- Continuous deployment in Amazon EKS
- GitOps and Amazon EKS
- Preparing for Lab 2: Deploying Applications
Configuring Observability in Amazon EKS
- Configuring observability in an Amazon EKS cluster
- Collecting metrics
- Using metrics for automatic scaling
- Managing logs
- Application tracing in Amazon EKS
- Gaining and applying insight from observability
- Preparing for Lab 3: Monitoring Amazon EKS
Balancing Efficiency, Resilience, and Cost Optimization in Amazon EKS
- The high level overview
- Designing for resilience
- Designing for cost optimization
- Designing for efficiency
Managing Networking in Amazon EKS
- Review: Networking in AWS
- Communicating in Amazon EKS
- Managing your IP space
- Deploying a service mesh
- Preparing for Lab 4: Exploring Amazon EKS Communication
Managing Authentication and Authorization in Amazon EKS
- Understanding the AWS shared responsibility model
- Authentication and authorization
- Managing IAM and RBAC
- Demo: Customizing RBAC roles
- Managing pod permissions using RBAC service accounts
Implementing Secure Workflows
- Securing cluster endpoint access
- Improving the security of your workflows
- Improving host and network security
- Managing secrets
- Preparing for Lab 5: Securing Amazon EKS
Managing Upgrades in Amazon EKS
- Planning for an upgrade
- Upgrading your Kubernetes version
- Amazon EKS platform versions
Enquire about this course
"*" indicates required fields
Advanced Architecting on AWS
Advanced Developing on AWS
AWS Cloud Essentials for Business Leaders – Financial Services
Developing On AWS
Cloud Operations on AWS
MLOps Engineering On AWS